Here we go again!
A new painting at it's inception stage. Well, it
was time I used my great niece, Jillian, in a
painting. Her brother Russell has appeared in
"Silver Moon" and "One Stick
Pony", mainly because I tend to create
images that relate to me as a boy. I have an
older sister, and lots of memories of the two of
us, so this painting will combine the daily
routines of a brother and sister. I've chosen the
title of "Bob
And Judy", based on the book
that will be used in the painting. The names, Bob
and Judy are the names of my cousin Judy and her
husband Bob, making this painting that much more
cover is something that I designed for the
painting, using an old truck ad from the 50's,
some fun type styles and a little 'artistic
license'. (The photo below of Jillian and Russell
will be used to put the two of them onto the book
will be tugging on a rag that the dog (on the
book cover and in this case, his grandmother) has
his teeth into. Jillian points at the dog with
their images are on the book cover, Jillian and
Russell will also be amongst the articles that
accompany the book.
will be sitting on the foot of the doll, reading
the "A day on THE FARM BOOK with Bob and
Judy". She will be holding the doll (the
same one she is sitting on) while she is reading
the book. Russell will be playing with the truck
(the one in front of the book), hauling
Tinkertoys to the windmill he built. The table
Russell is working on will be the one in the prop
setup, built out of Tinkertoys, using a green fin
of the windmill for the tabletop.
taken me a little more than a week to draw the
image onto the canvas. I am using the finest
Belgium linen portrait canvas with an oil ground
that is double primed.
start by filling in all the areas where the color
is known. In other words, if I know what color
the object is or 'has to be' to be recognized as
that object, then I 'block' that object in with a
wash of oil and turpentine. When all the objects
that require a specific color are 'blocked in', I
will be left with areas that allow me to choose a
color to compliment the painting. These areas
will be the back wall, the ground the objects sit
on and the clothing that the kids are wearing.
close-up of the lettering on the book. Nice photo
Carol! She's always looking over my shoulder...
part of the book and part of the Tinkertoy
windmill are washed in.
worked on the natural wood parts of the
Tinkertoys, roughing in their values and hues.
the Tinkertoy parts that will serve as the
support of the boy's 'tabletop'.
see the photo of the doll (left), taped to the
canvas, that I use for reference when painting
the doll's head.
close-up of the doll head. Remember, this is just
the initial wash of oil and turpentine, used to
'block in' the basic colors (hues) and values
(darks and lights). I will adjust these values
and hues later with the second and final
application of oil.
doll is done for now. Now, I have decided to
paint the background in order to see how my
choice of values has been on the Tinkertoys and
that helps a lot. It makes the objects start to
glow with sunlight.
closer view of the Tinkertoys.
I set the
50's truck ad on another easel to use for
reference while I paint the book.
the book with the kids 'worked' into the 'truck
the painting is blocked in about 2/3's of the
truck with its Tinkertoy payload.
Tinkertoy container is done except for the lid
and the instruction sheets.
and instruction sheet are roughed in.
just painted the 'green fin' tabletop and the
windmill and truck on top of it. I have also
painted the book that the girl is reading so that
I can determine if I need to alter the clothing
of either child to compliment the rest of the
coloration in the painting. Once I am happy with
the clothing I will choose a color for the ground
the right corner of the painting, showing the
shadows and the floor painted in.
and shadows below the truck...
Jillian (Judy) sketched in.
entire painting is 'blocked in' with its initial
oil wash. I'll now reevaluate the values of each
hue (the darkness of each color) and begin
painting in the final oil passage. The paint will
not be thinned at all this time. It will be the
consistency of the pigment right out of the tube.
Already I can see that the book is too light. It
should be dark enough that it looks like the sun
does not hit it directly and also dark enough to
make a good background for the objects in front
of it. I want its value to make the highlight
areas on the truck and on Jillian (the places
where the sun hits these two) pop out through
background of the book has the final paint on it
now. I darkened it substantially. The value of
the blue of the sky will now tell me how dark to
paint the rest of the objects on the book cover.
I will let it dry and go to the background behind
the Tinkertoy windmill. I'll paint it with a
value that makes the book pop out from the
photo with the back wall painted. I not only
darkened it more than the initial value, I
changed the hue to a shade of burgundy rather
than the brownish tint. By increasing the value
of the background, I've forced myself to change
(darken) many other objects in the painting...
'fins' on the Tinkertoy windmill are finished.
is done, darkened (because the sun doesn't hit it
directly) to provide a value difference between
itself and the objects (the girl sitting on the
doll and the toy truck) in front of it.
the windmill is finished.
doll's head is also finished.
entire doll is done. I warmed up the color to a
more 'pinkish' tone on the cloth body.
truck with its 'payload' is completed.
Tinkertoys are finished. Just the lid of the
contaner, the two kids and the cast shadows are
Russell. With all the props and models completed,
I painted in the shadows and the counter/floor.
"Bob And Judy" is finished. The
completed oil on linen painting is
(back to Gallery VI)